Tuesday, October 28, 2003
Driving and raving
Just to keep things fair, I suppose I should rant about me for a change. Surprisingly enough, I'm not perfect. Now that you've recovered from that, let me continue. (BTW, mister insurance man, police man, and other authorities around here) the following is full of hyperbole and what-not)
Driving - yep, I'm not that good of a driver. I'm not dangerous or stuff, but I could do much better. I mean, I haven't had an accident since some guy ran into me at a stop sign about 6 years ago (he claimed he wasn't expecting me to stop). I can't remember the last ticket I got. However, about 8 years ago, I did total my pickup truck at an intersection. Supposedly, they said it was my fault, but I was never ticketed.
Anyway, my biggest problem is lack of patience. Put me behind somebody doing 43 mph in a 45 mph zone, and I start to go crazy. Another thing is there are times when I really don't plan on yielding. Usually when you see the sign that says "Right Lane Closed - 2 miles" and there's that idiot who decides to cut in front of you about 1.99999 miles further down. Now that really pisses me off.
I also tend to let my mind wander on long trips. I try to stay focused, but don't always have a lot of luck. I start thinking about stuff and before I know it, I'm 30 miles further down the highway with no recollection of where I've been. I do try not to tailgate, and do pretty good except when there's some bozo driving 10 mph under the speed limit. In that case I can't wait to get around their sorry butt.
I don't do well driving long distances either. I have to stop often. At least every couple of hours or less. I just like to stop, take a walk, maybe read a little and stretch and then get back on the road. I can sometimes feel myself getting tired. I'll massage myself, slap my thighs some until I finally have to stop and take a break. Usually a few minutes or so off the road and I'm fine again. I can also tell when it's time to stop because I loose the ability to focus my eyes.
I'm also paranoid about getting lost. I have to know where I am. I've always got a couple of maps out and around. I'm always worried I'm going to miss the exit. I need to know what the exit number is I have to take and where I'm at in relation to it. The nice thing about Michigan is the exit numbers are the mile signs on the road. So if I'm passing mile marker 87, I know it's another 100 miles to exit 187.
Back on the road again....
2fers: Michigan map and A good time waster